The University of Mississippi Lyceum in Oxford, Mississippi. In the university’s early days, the Lyceum Building was the only academic structure, housing a lecture hall, several classrooms, the faculty offices, a geological museum, and the library. The Lyceum is now used for the university’s administration offices. Its columned facade is represented on the official crest of the university, along with the date of establishment. Built in 1848 to the designs of architect William Nichols, the building is the oldest on campus and concurrent with its founding.