In the second chapter of Proverbs, Solomon appeals to his son to listen to him. Solomon encourages him to:
- Receive his words.
- Treasure his commandments.
- Listen attentively to wisdom.
- Lean his heart to understanding.
Then Solomon tells his son what will happen if he:
- Cries for discernment.
- Lifts his voice for understanding.
- Searches for understanding as if searching for hidden treasures.
Solomon assures him:
Then you will discern the fear of the Lord
And discover the knowledge of God.
For the Lord gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
These seven powerful verbs — receive, treasure, listen, lean, cry, lift, search — are at the heart of every wise parent’s core curriculum. Children who receive, treasure, listen, and lean while they cry out to God and actively seek His blessing and counsel — that is the desire of every wise parent’s heart.